Re: .htaccess files not working from internet? intranetaccessfine

What should happen, is that
Firefox requests URL
Goes via squid,
Squid sends on firefoxes request headers
Apache backend sends "must authenticate" headers
These must be picked u by squid and reversed out to firefox, if this is happening, you will see the firefox basic authentication pop-up.

Once firefox sees those authentication headers and you fill in the boxes it will send the a header with a payload of base64 encoded username:password

This must be proxied by squid to apache for the resource to be allowed back.

Firefox should now cache these credentials and resend them every single request, and so on

Where does this fail, are you getting the firefox pop up?