Re: LocationMatch inside VirtualHost? [solved: bug]

On 14-Apr-09, at 8:18 AM, Tom Evans wrote:

[Tue Apr 14 06:05:15 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no
VirtualHosts

Which does NOT say "Apache has no vhosts". You may be misunderstanding
what the message says.

May, may not, perhaps...hence the request for documentation.

2.  13 virtualhosts
(correct)
3.  Syntax OK
(correct)

So 0 == 13.  Also, 0 == 13 is "OK".
The syntax is correct, but the semantics are slightly incorrect,
hence
the error message.

Conclusion:  Problems  Most developers, have limited patience with
misleading software.  From Wikipedia:

I'm inferring that the problem is:
You have vhosts, you get the error message 'NameVirtualHost *:80 has
no
VirtualHosts', and you don't understand why? I'll step you through
it..

Wonderful.  I'll assume this isn't in the docs.

Well, I didn't imagine this up out of thin air.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#namevirtualhost

Yes, of course. The very documentation I've been using all this time. All of this hasn't brought about any perceived solution nor reduction of warnings in configtest. Even with the potential confusion noted above, it still is that.

Without a conf file, and being told what errors came up, that is as
useful as a slap around the face.

See reply to Andre.

No modifications to httpd.conf at all? I'm __staggered__ that you have
so many vhosts with a stock config.

Other than the include to my file, nothing.

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. It wasn't meant as a slur, just that clearly you don't know Apache, and if we were to switch
you for a me, or an Eric, then the problem would be fixed.

Well then. I guess the solution is to become you, or Eric. Unfortunately, we live in the real world, and not in Lalaland. Also, users are those that aren't you people, it is us.

In any case, thank you for the notes.  It's the explanation like this
which I think should be up front. I think it's a shame that this will
get somewhat buried.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

If you had provided your configuration, then we might be able to see
where you are going wrong.

However, all you seem to want to do is post really really long winded
rants, with little substance or content, whilst complaining non stop
about the software quality, support quality and documentation quality of
free software. Good luck with that.

So I guess 200% my money back, right? Wow you have certainly trumped me. I guess anybody with a question or a suggestion shouldn't ask for clarification on items that are confusing. We should just become you.

Good luck with that.  Andre is providing some leadership.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike