Re: LocationMatch inside VirtualHost? [solved: bug]

Viaduct Productions wrote:
I'm using wildcard *:80, for both NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost entries, and I only have one NVH. I've checked many times, thinking I tripped over something.

For the other part of the discussion, I suggest prefixing the subject with [OT] (marking as "off topic".

About the issue at hand :

Just for the sake of it, to the previous configuration on my server, I added an extra (thus, in my case, duplicated) line in httpd.conf, just above where it starts including other files :

NameVirtualHost *:80

Then I ran : /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -t

and I got a message :
evm2:~# /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -t
[Tue Apr 14 13:12:35 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
Syntax OK

then, I removed that line again, and I re-ran the same command :

evm2:~# /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -t
Syntax OK
evm2:~#

Does that tell you something ?
Why don't you try the same thing (adding another NameVirtualHost somewhere), and see if you now get 2 warnings ?

If you are absolutely sure that you do not have more than one NameVirtualHost directive in your whole collection of configuration files, then also make sure that the same configuration file is not being included more than once in your httpd.conf (which would have the same effect).

The point is, I know of no other way to get the warning above, than having a duplicated NameVirtualHost directive somewhere, without following it by corresponding <VirtualHost> sections.

Granted also, the on-line documentation does not seem to explicitly say that you should not do that. But neither does it say explicitly (I believe) that you should not use AAA for a port number, or try to use Apache to wash your laundry.