Re: LocationMatch inside VirtualHost? [solved: bug]

On 14-Apr-09, at 7:15 AM, André Warnier wrote:

It is maybe worth remembering that you get this software for free, as you are getting assistance for free on this users list. It is always an option to pay someone to offer you personal and tailored assistance and training.

You know, this is a typical open source attitude. Regardless if it's free, it's based upon the invite of the open source community to come in and use the software in order to gain something. It wasn't MY decision to publish it for free, and offering it for free is no excuse to publish poor software that might suggest issues, or an excuse to publish poor documentation. In so doing, you are misleading people and quite simply wasting their time.

It would be in everybody's interest if the whole system didn't require users to come to the users list. It's not like I don't have things to do, as I'm assuming yourselves as well.

And some items that you might want to remember about open source. People have little time to play guessing games, and therefore the open source option is frowned upon for this very reason, amongst others.

I don't think it's asking too much to make the suite of tools give reasonable directional feedback, along with documentation. Apache documentation I have personally found to be highly technical.

Wikipedia states:

"There are a number of commonly recognized barriers to the adoption of open source software by enterprises. These barriers include the perception that open source licenses are viral, lack of formal support and training, the velocity of change, and a lack of a long term roadmap. The majority of these barriers are risk-related. From the other side, not all proprietary projects disclose exact future plans, not all open source licenses are equally viral and many serious OSS projects (especially operating systems) actually make money from paid support and documentation."

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike