Re: [users@httpd] mod_*_cache on 2.0 vs. 2.2

On 7/25/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> The servers have an absurd amount of RAM (8gb or more) that we could
> utilize for mod_mem_cache.

If that's the case, if your content is non-trivial (different reactions
to client characteristics, such as language, charset, or browser content
that varies) - I strongly recommend you allocate what you like as a ram
disk and use mod_disk_cache with 2.2.x.  It's far more robust in terms
of following all the subtleties of HTTP/1.1 caching.

If your content is trivial (doesn't vary, etc) then mod_mem_cache would
serve you just fine.

Note that if you have gobs of RAM, your content will be served from
memory even with regular mod_disk_cache (no ram disk) since the OS
will have everything in buffer caches.  (And you might need to be
careful about RAM disks, since they may or may not support sendfile().
Giving up sendfile could be a big hit.)

Joshua.