Re: [users@httpd] mod_*_cache on 2.0 vs. 2.2

Joshua Slive wrote:
On 7/25/06, Forrest Aldrich <forrie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm unable to find the RPMs for Fedora or CentOS (which we're using)
that correspond to 2.2.x.

Well, actually, I found a src RPM, which is being compiled with options
I need to customize (possibly via rpmbuild) - I'm from FreeBSD, so RPM
is very new ;-)

It has several dependencies.

Suggestion(s) welcomed.

Compile it yourself, either from scratch, or from the rpm spec files
included with the distribution.

We already have httpd-2.0 installed on the designated system, which is
why I asked.

I believe our goal is to utilize the mod_mem_cache on the front-end
image servers.

What particular problems have been observed with mod_mem_cache?

I don't use it, so I don't have details.  But it has gotten far less
attention than mod_disk_cache.  mod_disk_cache will almost always
perform better because it shares the cache among all processes
(mod_mem_cache has a seperate cache for each process) and can give the
kernel the chance to optimise memory caching of filesystem access.

If you are saying you are going to mem_cache static files, I don't see
the point.  On a modern OS, sendfile and the systems buffer cache
working together will likely beat anything that can be done in user
space.  (But again, I've never tried it, so I'm only talking
theoretically.)

Joshua.

I'm trying to figure out how to rebuild (properly) from the source RPM using "rebuild" - however, there are dependencies that httpd requires that are not in the CentOS RPM repository (that I can tell). RPM is confusing, but I have to deal with it.

The case for the caching - we have images that are served up (views from the outside) for which we want a cache in the front-end. To expire in 1 hour or something like that.

The servers have an absurd amount of RAM (8gb or more) that we could utilize for mod_mem_cache.

Then, the middleware servers could utilize mod_disk_cache, ultimately pointing back to the database (from where all content, including images, originates. That's what I understand anyway.

I've not used the mod_*_cache items before - I've only found documentation on it in the manual pages (ie: not a lot of example usage scenarios, etc).

Thanks.