Re: [users@httpd] Directory access or vhost problem?

On 8/27/05, Doug Lawlor <dlawlor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list, I am in the process of trying to get name based virtual hosts
> established on my server (apache 2.0.54 Gentoo linux) and cannot seem to
> gain access to the root directory for the host even though it looks like I
> have everything set up correctly. When I try to access the host using
> Internet Explorer on Windows XP I get a 403 forbidden you don't have
> permission to access / on this server error. I have included my virtual host
> configuration below.
> If someone could take a look at this and indicate where I am going wrong it
> would be much appreciated. I have taken a look at the documentation for
> setting up virtual hosts as well as the documentation on the <directory>
> directive.
>

> UseCanonicalName off
> <directory /var/www/localhost>
> order allow,deny
> allow from all
> </directory>
> <virtualhost>
> VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/htdocs
> VirtualScriptAlias /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin
> ServerAlias www.drl.homelinux.net
>
> </virtualhost>

You look to be WAY off in your configuration, which suggests you haven't read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html#using
In particular, I don't believe you want the Virtual... directives at all.

In addition, you always need to check and report the contents of the
error log when trying to debug problems.

Joshua.