Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite vs Content Management Systems

David Blomstrom wrote:
I want to create a content management system that
produces user/search engine-friendly URL's like these:

www.geozoo.org/stacks/Carnivora/
www.geozoo.org/kids/Carnivora/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canidae/
www.geozoo.org/kids/Canidae/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canis_lupus/
www.geozoo.org/kids/Canis_lupus/

As you can see, there will be two versions of each
article, one for adults, the other for kids.

I think this is done with Apache's mod_rewrite
function, right?

mod_rewrite can do a good job of translating urls like the above into something like this:

www.geozoo.com/?Audience=kids&Subject=Carnivora
etc.

which most any CMS can go to town with.

. . .

One other question: I read somewhere that you can
actually produce several URL's for one article. For
example, an article about the wolf might be accessed
at any of the following:

www.geozoo.org/stacks/wolf/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canis_lupus/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/top_predator/

I think I read about this on Plone's website, but
Plone is way over my head. Is this something you can
do with mod_rewrite or some other technology that
isn't restricted to a particular CMS? Can it be done
with a database? (I'll have the wolf listed under
wolf, Canis_lupus, top predator, etc.)

mod_rewrite uses regular expressions. You'd only need a few to do the basic job. But if you want to do rewrites based on particular subjects, the list of rewrite rules would get way longer and maintenance (of regular expressions) would be a bear.

Assuming you have a pretty long assortment of critters, you'd do better to do this with your CMS using a database. This probably involves using an extra table: a Subject table that points to an Article table, for example, so you can have multiple subjects pointing to the same article.

Hope that helps.

John Hicks

Thanks.