[users@httpd] mod_rewrite vs Content Management Systems

I want to create a content management system that
produces user/search engine-friendly URL's like these:

www.geozoo.org/stacks/Carnivora/
www.geozoo.org/kids/Carnivora/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canidae/
www.geozoo.org/kids/Canidae/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canis_lupus/
www.geozoo.org/kids/Canis_lupus/

As you can see, there will be two versions of each
article, one for adults, the other for kids.

I think this is done with Apache's mod_rewrite
function, right? I'm currently playing with Mambo and
Drupal, each of which apparently has its own system
for doing this. Mambo has two basic versions - 404SEF
and Xaneon - both of which are all over the map. They
come in different versions, some of which are no
longer supported and appear to be very hard to
install.

If I have to go to all that trouble to make search
engine-friendly links, I'd prefer to use a method
that's universally understood - like mod_rewrite. So
before I dive in any deeper, I wonder if anyone can
confirm that mod_rewrite does indeed to what I think
it does. I can then try to figure out how to use it
with whatever content management system.

Do options like 404SEF have any advantages over
mod_rewrite?

One other question: I read somewhere that you can
actually produce several URL's for one article. For
example, an article about the wolf might be accessed
at any of the following:

www.geozoo.org/stacks/wolf/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canis_lupus/
www.geozoo.org/stacks/top_predator/

I think I read about this on Plone's website, but
Plone is way over my head. Is this something you can
do with mod_rewrite or some other technology that
isn't restricted to a particular CMS? Can it be done
with a database? (I'll have the wolf listed under
wolf, Canis_lupus, top predator, etc.)

Thanks.