Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite vs Content Management Systems

It was thus said that the Great David Blomstrom once stated:

> I want to create a content management system that
> produces user/search engine-friendly URL's like these:
>
> www.geozoo.org/stacks/Carnivora/
> www.geozoo.org/kids/Carnivora/
> www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canidae/
> www.geozoo.org/kids/Canidae/
> www.geozoo.org/stacks/Canis_lupus/
> www.geozoo.org/kids/Canis_lupus/
>
> As you can see, there will be two versions of each
> article, one for adults, the other for kids.
>
> I think this is done with Apache's mod_rewrite
> function, right? I'm currently playing with Mambo and
> Drupal, each of which apparently has its own system
> for doing this. Mambo has two basic versions - 404SEF
> and Xaneon - both of which are all over the map. They
> come in different versions, some of which are no
> longer supported and appear to be very hard to
> install.

  So far, what you describe could be done by the file system.  You have your
"htdocs" directory, under that you have "kids" and "stacks" then under each
of those you have "Carnivore", "Canidae" and "Canis_lupus".  If an article
appears under both unchanged, you can save space by using symbolic links (or
shortcuts if you're under Windows).  I don't see where mod_rewrite comes in.

  -spc