Re: [users@httpd] connection refused

Tony,

When I telnet to the box using port 81, I get a method not implemented: 501 error.  Any thoughts?

Also, when I get the dynamic web server working, I will disable external telnet.  Because I  have not used linux/unix in 10 years, I have a lot of catching up on some things.

Tony Karakashian wrote:
I have a dynamic ip address and port 80 is blocked.  I have set my dell
true mobile wireless router to forward all http to my 192.168.2.X using
port 81.  I have enabled port 81 in my services file.  I have set the
apache httpd.conf to listen to port 80-81 and 8080.

Can you telnet into port 81 from the outside and get a response?  I
usually just do a "Get index.html" just to see if I get an error.

My router is forwarding requests because I have also enables telnet and
can access my server from external locations.

Any suggestions?

Yes, stop using telnet on the Internet and use SSH. ;-)  If you've got
external telnet enabled on your router, you're an open book to even
the worst of the script-kiddies.  If your router doesn't support
direct SSH, then enable SSH on an internal machine, and have the
router forward it back to that machine.  Once you've SSHed into an
internal machine, you can telnet in to the internal IP of your router
over your internal wire, which'll be a little more secure.

-T