Re: [users@httpd] Name-based virtual hosts questions

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:42:50 -0800, Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Should I leave the old ServerName and Document Root statements in the
>   file? They seem to have no effect now.

Yes, they do nothing, and yes, you should leave them.

> 2. What about the old Directory, OllowOverride, Order allow, deny, and
>   Allow from all entries? If I leave them in I get errors. Why?

What errors?  Directives outside <VirtualHost> sections still have an
effect on the virtual hosts unless they are overriden by directives
inside the <VirtualHost> sections.

> 3. What does the UserDir public_html do now?

The same thing it did before.  Both vhosts will have user directory
mapping, unless you change the config inside the vhost.

> 4. What effect does 'UseCanonicalName On' have?

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#usecanonicalname
Essentially, it controls what name apache will use when it sends redirects.

> 5. What controls do I have over .htaccess files in the directories now
>   pointed to by the VirtualHost entries?

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#allowoverride

> 6. Are there other issues I need to handle, using name-based virtual
>   hosts with one IP number?

I don't know what you are asking here.

Joshua.