[users@httpd] Name-based virtual hosts questions

I have two url's both pointed in DNS to my fixed IP. I could access
the same web files using either url or by using the IP in the accessing
browser.

I added name-based hosting, following the examples in the Apache manual.

When I access the server using the IP, I get the files for the first
virtual entry. Using either url to access the server, I get the correct
files. It appears that the implementation of name-based virtual hosts is
working as expected.

My questions concern other entries in httpd.conf and their effects.

1. Should I leave the old ServerName and Document Root statements in the
   file? They seem to have no effect now.

2. What about the old Directory, OllowOverride, Order allow, deny, and
   Allow from all entries? If I leave them in I get errors. Why?

3. What does the UserDir public_html do now?

4. What effect does 'UseCanonicalName On' have?

5. What controls do I have over .htaccess files in the directories now
   pointed to by the VirtualHost entries?

6. Are there other issues I need to handle, using name-based virtual
   hosts with one IP number?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA