RE: openssl comand(s) for https mode on apache 2.4 on windows.

> 	So, is this wrong forum for asking about openssl commands required
> for generating certificates for enabling https on apache?

Mostly you will be notified. The only thing you need to add to your virtual host for https is this:

SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile
SSLCertificateChainFile
SSLCertificateKeyFile

It really does not matter how keys / crts have been generated. Just choose something that is quick and easy.

> 	Most of the websites showed how to generate .pem certificates, but
> after reading about ssl/https on apache website, I saw that apache
> requires .crt certificates.

pem, crt, cer check if they start like this

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

check apache log file for start up errors.

> 	Obviously, I can figure out this whole thing if I read whole
> openssl manual and apache ssl configs, etc. but I don't want to invest
> time in that and I was looking for a quick solution and that's why I
> posted here.

Just choose a tool that can quickly generate key and crt. Does not matter which tool. Someone send you already reply to something.

> 	I would really like to know how my idea of hardcoding https can go
> wrong?

It can be anything, it is just unexpected application behaviour to someone who might work with it in the future. Maybe internal health check url? Cron? Debugging? Personally I find it sometimes annoying with testing container images. In my own development environment I am constantly switching between development and production certs.

I would always opt for having this at least configured as an option.

> Anyways, I looked more on google and I think that I have found what I was
> looking for on this page:
> https://gist.github.com/taoyuan/39d9bc24bafc8cc45663683eae36eb1a

Forget about going specific for openssl, it is just a tool. Choose the simplest solution for your development environment. If you are doing hosting yourself. Your going to end up with automated certs on your hosting environment any way, you will never see an openssl command.