RE: better configtest

> > 1.
> > what is the point of having a apachectl configtest, when a restart can
> still fail? It can't be to difficult to include cert checks here, can it?
> This is now becoming a significant part.
>
> The bar is useful, not perfect.  configtest checks for _syntax_ validity.
>
> > 2.
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> > AH00016: Configuration Failed
> >
> > This is useless, why not list config line or cert name?
>
> This error means post-configuration failed. This is when the collected
> config is acted upon, which is not really within line-by-line mode.
> Normally there's a preceding error message with more details, maybe in
> a vhost-specific error log?

Maybe, I would have to look through quite a lot.

Can't the development team re-think about this? What is the point of not starting httpd if there is an issue with a single virtual host? Why not have that specific virtual host fail only? I would like to have this config syntax check expanded to cert content or some other way of validating that I can test if I can restart httpd safely.