Re: apache routing issue

On 07/05/2021 07:02, Sander Smeenk wrote:
Quoting emma davis (emma.davis76@xxxxxxx.INVALID):

It is a  domain name identification issue by Apache.
May be it a known issue.

Apache has the concent of a 'default' virtual host. Any request to a
domain not explicitly confiugred for that ip/port combo will be handled
by the defaul virtual host.

See the output of 'apachectl -S'.

If all your vhosts have <VirtualHost *:80>, the first one Apache 'reads'
when parsing the configuration file(s) will be the default for all IPs
on port 80.

This will be why your 'blue' and 'brown' domains show the content of
another site. They are not configured, but some other site on that
ip/port combo was and is considered the 'default' virtual host.

When it really should be returning a 404 because I haven't set up or
enabled the blue or brown sites as virtual hosts.

No. It will not return 404.
So you can configure a "no site configured" default virtual host, and
have unconfigured domains land there. And even force it to return a 404.
But Apache, by default, will not do that.

Conclusion:
This means  I  can only host my four websites on one machine.
If I want  the sites to be served from machine B I suspect I will have to
remove all sites from machine because machine A is taking priority.

If you are behind consumer internet, and you have your router forward
TCP/80 to a certain IP-address, you are limited to that host
(ip-address) handling all HTTP requests. You can however set up a proxy
that deals with routing traffic for certain sites to certain other
ip-addresses in yournetwork. But i think it would be wise to first get a
grip on Apache's essentials before delving in this material.

emma davis

p.s. do i recall you sending a 'threat' about your daddy being a
barrister who will sue us because some e-mail thread went offline?

-Sndr.

Does the default *:80 also serve data to localhost?

I assumed by creating another VH that would achieve a "shortcircuit" and serve data to my local puppeteer browser from my prime website?

Thx Paul