Re: ASUS M2N32 MCP55 HDAudio problems - solved

At Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:20:50 +0200,
Daniel Schroeder wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >> could this be fixed in alsa or is this a hardware only issue?
> >
> > It's my question, too.  I have no idea what you realy wanted, and
> > how your hardware is designed to behave.
> >
> > On many systems, auto-muting via HP jack is simply annoying.
> >

> > Takashi
> my old nforce2 mb mutes the other channels if i plug in the hp...but i
> think the old mb does this in hardware...
>
> this was a real nice feature...so, i have to deactivate the other
> channels in kmix now....this is O.K. :)
>
> the real funny thing about this thread...in Windows the center speaker
> is not working in moviez, just like my initial and now fixed problem
> with alsa :) And with alsa i have the possibility to mute the other
> channels to have only sound output on my headphone...i haven't managed
> this yet with windows and i would say, i have not this option to do this
> in windows...
>
> conclusion: i love linux on the desktop :)

Well, from technical POV, adding the auto-hp-mute behavior isn't too
difficult.  But it also reduces the flexibility as you noticed.  And,
if we implement auto-HP-mute, it's better to remove the mute switches
of other channels for usability reason as well as on Windows.  That
is, a single Master mute switch to toggle all on/off.

Takashi