Southwest Airlines tests in-flight Internet

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2009/02/09/daily30.html?ana=e_du_pap

Triangle Business Journal - February 10, 2009
Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 2:02pm EST
Southwest Airlines tests in-flight Internet
Triangle Business Journal

Southwest Airlines Co. on Tuesday launched on-board testing of
satellite technology designed to enable passengers to log on to the
Internet via their own Wi-Fi-enabled devices.

Dallas, Texas-based Southwest (NYSE: LUV) says one aircraft is
equipped to test the system's effectiveness. The airline will be
testing the technology on board this one flight, while planning to
equip at least three additional planes by March 2009. During the
testing phase, the service will be free, and is subject to final
approval by the Federal Communications Commission.

"Internet connectivity has been high on our list of priorities for
quite some time," said Dave Ridley, Southwest Airlines Senior Vice
President of Marketing and Revenue Management. "We believe the
aircraft-to-satellite technology is the most robust solution in the
industry, and we look forward to the feedback from our Customers."

The technology is expected to allow passengers the opportunity to
access the Internet via laptops, iPhones, and Wi-Fi enabled smart
phones, the airline said. Cellular technology will not work with the
Wi-Fi service.

As part of its offering to passengers, Southwest has partnered with
Yahoo! to create a homepage relevant to each flight, so passengers can
access destination information while also tracking the flight's
progress.

Southwest's Wi-Fi system incorporates the high-speed broadband
technology of Westlake Village, Calif.-based Row 44, a company that
provides the technology infrastructure for airborne broadband
communication.

Southwest is No. 1 in passenger traffic at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

All contents of this site (c) American City Business Journals Inc. All
rights reserved.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".