Re: Tunisian ATR ditches off Sicily, 9 dead, many survivors

Hi Michael,

I understand your point re censorship.
Nevertheless, as this is a forum where aviation enthusiasts discuss matters, there is
no point in looking at pictures of corpses in the water, to understand why an
accident has happened.
When I followed the links posted I had not expected to look at dead bodies. The only
picture of relevance for the discussion is that of the wing.

Coming on-topic:
Does anybody know, what the school book method of water landing a high decker such as
an ATR72 is? Is it with a nose up attitude to avoid diving?
Is it more or less level, to avoid disintegration?
Is it after all possible to go down on water without disintegrating (has it ever been
managed with an aircraft nod designed for water landings)?
I remember a picture of a DC8 in lake Victoria, which had stayed more or less
integer. Was that only because it happened in shallow water?

brgds,
Manfred (ATCO/TWR/LOWW = Vienna)