Re: Tunisian ATR ditches off Sicily, 9 dead, many survivors

From: "Manfred Saitz" <msaitz@xxxxxxx>

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 2:19 PM

<snip>
> Is it after all possible to go down on water without disintegrating (has
> it ever been managed with an aircraft nod designed for water landings)?
> I remember a picture of a DC8 in lake Victoria, which had stayed more or
> less integer. Was that only because it happened in shallow water?

In the mid thirties a United DC3 from SF to LA turned about 300 degrees at a
radio range (the old low frequency A-N) intersection instead of the correct
120 and flew out over the Pacific until a change in dispatchers (control was
through ARINC, not FAA) caused the new dispatcher to ask for the magnetic
compass reading.  The dispatcher talked the pilot into turning 180 and
heading back toward LA.   The engines quit just short of the beach and the
plane ditched.  The captain got everyone out through the cockpit on top of
the floating plane.  During the night everyone but the captain and one
surviving passenger were washed off the fuselage and drowned.  The airplane
came on the beach the next day with a dry cabin.  For years thereafter every
radio transmission from a United plane had to end with the magnetic compass
heading.

Of course the DC3 probably had a stalling speed around 50 knots or less, so
the intact ditching was a lot easier than in modern transports.   The
ditching of the hijacked Ethiopian plane (was that a big Airbus too?) at the
Comorros Islands led to the breakup of the airplane and the death of a
number of those aboard.  The Boeing StratoLiner or StratoCruiser that
ditched in Puget Sound last year survived intact, but it too would have had
a lower stalling speed than most current airliners.  I don't remember any
ditching of land planes other than those three.

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/pollock/263/egypt/egypt.html