Re: Tunisian ATR ditches off Sicily, 9 dead, many survivors

On Aug 8, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Gerard M Foley wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Antoin Daltun"
> <adaltun@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> In my opinion these pictures of drowned people are quite
>> inappropriate for publication and it is wrong to post a link on
>> this list. The whole website is a revolting exploitation of
>> personal tragedies and in a civilised society the perpetrator
>> would be in prison
>>
> I disagree.  Death is ugly and revolting, but don't pretend it
> doesn't happen.  I don't favor the wide distribution of pictures of
> corpses, but I'll excuse it once in a while and in context.

Agree with Gerard. I'm not a big fan of ogrish.com, but I think
having a source of unedited/uncensored photos from things like war
zones, accidents, crime scenes, etc. is a good thing. Nobody likes
looking at the corpses (well, I guess some people do) but sometimes
the "raw data" allows you to come to your own conclusions about
events independent of the effects of the media, the government, and
other purported gatekeepers of information.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx