Re: Here Is the translation........

Gerard M Foley wrote:

> [...]

"On Saturday September 2nd, in Houston, representatives of Continental,
the BEA, the US Federal Aviation Administration and the National
Transportation Safety Board inspected the aircraft. They determined a
piece of a metal wear strip, similar in shape to the piece of metal
found on the runway in Paris, was missing from the space between the fan
reverser and the core door on the right-wing engine of the Continental
DC 10. It has not been determined definitively that the metal piece
found on the runway is the piece of wear strip missing from the
Continental aircraft. Visual inspection suggests that it could have come
from Continental's aircraft. The absence of a piece of wear strip does
not affect the safe operation of an aircraft. After their inspection,
the authorities released the aircraft for return to normal operations."

The Ti replacement part would have been lighter, tougher and more heat
resistant, perhaps a superior application in a hot-wear environment like
a reverser, but it apparently wasn't sufficiently well fastened...  on
the other hand, reports suggest the original part was found missing,
too, and the Ti part was substituted during routine MX.

- Bob Mann

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

This e-mail is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it
in error, please notify the above sender immediately then delete
the original e-mail.  Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.