Re: Calgary - Air Canada

In reference to the 'summer of 99', I think the press did a fair job at
the time. It led the business news when something happened.

But if you wanted to dive into the story, you'd have to piece together
Globe and Mail articles over six months. As a business story, a
Canadian business story, it definitely warrants a further dive, and a
post-mortem.

The cast of characters was wonderful:
- Gerry Schwartz - the 'player'
- Robert Milton (american, ceo for 2 weeks)
- American Airline's executive
- Canadian Airlines executive
- The Quebec Courts
- The numerous banks
- The role of Lufthansa and United
- The deal, the counter deal, the counter-counter deal, the court
decision
- David Collenette (minister of transport at the time)

.. and how Air Canada was bidding for parts of Canadian prior to the
summer, and ended up saddled with an airline they didn't want, billions
in debt, huge employee liabilities, a monopoly they couldn't exploit
and grouchy customers AND staff. All within eight months.

Any one want to write it?

Matthew