Trip Report EWR-DTW-SFO-NRT-MNL 5/28-29/03 Long report

Codes Used during this trip report
EWR-Newark Liberty Intl Airport
DTW-Detroit Metro Airport
SFO-San Fransisco Intl Airport
NRT-New Tokyo Intl Airport
MNL-Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
NW-Northwest Airlines
TSA-Transportation Security Administration

Wednesday,May 28 2003 EWR-DTW  Flight NW653 Aircraft DC9-30 N
seats 14E/F
Left our home in Delaware on Tuesday and spent the night at my fathers house
left there around 3:30 am arrived at 4:00am at EWR Terminal B due to ongoing
night road work the departures roadway ws closed and we were droped off at the
NW baggage claim there was a PA airport red coat on duty who was able to get
a sky cap who assited us up to the NW ticket counter which was closed. Other
than the addition of the baggaged x-ray/bomb detection equipment and the new
shops/restaurants the terminal had not changed that much since I worked as a
agent for Worldwide Flight Services/AirTran in 1999-2000. Was joined by other
travelers and the ticket counter opened at 4:30 am due to the fact that we were
traveling internationaly and on 4 seperate flight segments the check in took a
little longer than  normal.  After completing check in we dropped and
informing the TSA agent that we uesd wire ties to lock our checked baggage at the
machine to be x-rayed and sent down to the NW bag room for loading. We then
proceeded to the security checkpoint. At the security check point our pasports and
tickets were checked and we were directed to the one of the three lines for the
security check. When this checkpoint was operated by ITS under contract from
Delta there were only 2 lines.
Empted pockets,removed shoed took lap top out of bag for inspection. Arived
at Gate 41B at 500am. Notable a/c at EWR were Skways/Midwest Dornier 328
Jet(Midwest is now handeled at NW Gate 40 pervously they were handeled by DL),NW
A320 in new colors and 727-200 which was at EWR due to Anaheim being in town for
the Stanly Cup. Boarding began at 5:40am  load on the a/c was very light in
coach but 1st class was full. (could have been due to the early departure or was
Wednesday after a Monday holiday. Push back was delayed appoximently 10
minnutes as the flight crew was checking about a ground stop for DTW but there was
none and we had to wait for two other flights to be pushed before ours were
wait for take off from 4-22L was very short and we were off  and up into and
above the clouds. was able to have coffee and granla bar for service. I forgot
how much noiserer the DC-9-30 is than the newer a/c in service. I also woner how
much longer NW will be keeping  the DC-9- in service. Arrived at DTW only a
few minnutes late and after a lenghty taxie arrived at gate 29 at the new NW
terminal and after checking the gate assignment with the NW agent it was off to
our next flight.

DTW-SFO NW flight 343 Aircraft 757-251 N546US seat 38EF
Did not have to use the people mover as gate 18 was only a short 2
moviingsidewalks from from the gate we arrived at. Had just enough time to use the
restroom before boading began at 8:40 for the 9:01 departure and since were were
only 4 rows form the back of the a/c
were amoung the first to board. Flight was 90% fully our row was one of the
few where all seats were not full. Meal service was a full breakfast. Spoted a
UA 737 still in Shuttle by UA colors after a short taxie we took off and saw
the oldNw termail which currently has had all of the jetways remved for I guess
evetuall demolition.  NW 757's are equiped with an inflight entertaiment
system but it was not being used at all. Approach to SFO was made from the south
over the east bay. Upon landing spoted the UAL MOC where there were a large
number of 747-400's on the ramp hopefully they were not being prepared for the
short trip to the desert for storage. Taxed past the old International terminal
which also now has no jet ways and I also woluld asume could be demoshed.
Arrived about 20 minnutes early and checked with the NW agent for directions to
the International terminal and our next flight.

SFO-NRT NW flight NW 27 aircraft 747-251B N631US seat 40ab
We had a nice 2 hour layover at SFO but had to change terminals which also
ment going through security again as well. Made the long walke to SFO wnet past
the exhbit on the history of SFO but didn't stop as there was a line for
security this time my belt set off the machine and I was pulled ased after gathing
my beliongs for wanding. All in all the TSA scaners I encounter were very
courtious. The international terminal was quit as the NW 747-251b was one of the
few ac at the terminal. Boarding began at 12:45pm and since the boarding
annoucements could not heard in the wating area everyone stood in front of Gate 11
after a check of our passport we wnt down to the flight. Dual jetways were used
and there were customers officers doing random spot checks since we were in
coach  we went down the 2nd jetway.
This was my first trip on the 747 and I found the plane well to be massive.
After waiting for what seemed like forever for the full flight to be boarded I
wonder how far in advance of departure will pax on the A380 have to board.
Flight was full. A Korea Air 777 arrived while we waited for pushback clearence.
But eventually the flight was pushed back. It always amazed me that this huge
a/c was able to take to the skies but after our loing take off roll the a/c
was airborne and up and out over the Pacific to NRT via the great circle route.
In between the movies shown the crew on the flight deck would put up a map
with information about our loaction after the moviere were over the information
was kept up all the way to landing at NRT. The inflight servce was good.
The classic 747 were were on was built in  1984 and when the DC-10-30's leave
the fleet later this year will be the last aircraft in the NW fleet with
flight enginers. Arrived at NRT a good hour in advanced of arrival due to
favarable winds. Saw a nuber of UA 747 and 777  on the ramp. As we pulled into our
gate saw an NW A320  which is used for trips to smaller Asiann destinations
although we were on a through flight it was also a change of plane flight so we got
off and followed the signs for transit or connecting passengers and also had
to go through a secuity check and it was off to the gate for our final flight
of the trip.
Thursday May 29th NRT-MNL NW27 747-451 N      US  seats 11jk
Originall were were to be in center seats 61de I asked at the gate if any
window and cernter seats were avalaib le was informed by the agent flight was
full. Boarding began at 6:15 for the 7:10pm departure. Boading was chatic as
everyone tried to apporach the gate eventhough only rows 60 and higher were
called. When they pulled our boarding passes we were assigned new seates in the
Busuiness Class which was great since there was plenty of leg room. We boarded
through the first class jetway. Plane pused on time NRT was busy with a large
number of ac parkede at remote stands. Took off and were airbour to MNL took
advantge of the sleeper seat after dinner to lay back and get some sleep. Fl,ight
was very bumpy and fasen seat belt sign was on for the full flight occasional
lighting flashes clould bee seen. Occasionaly would check personal vidio
system for a postion check while my wife did the paper work for our arrival in the
Phillippines. Arrved on time at the gate not much to see except for a few PAL
ac at the Lufthanza operated maitence hanger. Spoted an Continental/Air
Mirconesia 737 and a Kuwit Airways A340. There was one other NW 747 on the ground
and we pulled up at an ajoining gate. Our names were on a list of people with
who had to speak with a NW agent apprently they wnted to know what had happened
to our ticket coupor for NRT-MNL expland tht is was a through ticket which was
pulled at SFO and we were on our way. After the maditory check for teparature
due to SARS and immagation. It was to the baggage claim where we collected
our bags went through customs. and left the termanal which was the old one and
had no ac to meet my brothes in law for our trip to meet the rest of the
in-laws all in all were procesed through Customs and immigration in an hour.
Comming soon part 2 the trip home.