Trip Report MNL-NGO-DTW-EWR Long Report

Codes used in this report
MNL-Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
NGO-Nagoya Intl Airport
DTW-Detroit Metro
EWR-Newark Liberty Intl Airport
NW-Northwest Airlines

Tuesday June 10 2003 MNL-NGO Flight NW72 N674US 747-451 seat 51ab
Flight departure time was 645am and since were an hour from the airport that
ment leaving the in-laws at 200am arrived at the airport at 340am. Went
through a vechicle check point and arrived at the termnal where my bothers in-law
left us as no body other than employees and passengers are allowed in the termal
which was of 1970's vintage. Put our bages thought xray machines and were
subjected to search. Then NW securty asked us the security questions that TSA
eneded in the US. Since our tickets were not upgradeable I was abkle to get seats
on an exit row in coach. After paying our departure and aiport taxes,going
through immigration,yet another xray and securty patdown we arrve at the gate
where NW's own security went through all of our bags,had me turn on the
laptop,videocamera and regular camera we arrved at  gate 10 is was 4:50am.Flight again
was full. Saw numerous PAL and Air Phillipnes 737's,Cebu Pacific's Corlorful
DC-9-30's(Cebu is one of the few carrers thatn has a different color scheme on
each aircraft),AN SQ 777 ,AF 340 and PAL A320,737,A340 and 747-400. Boarding
began at 5:50 am again the flight was full. On taxi saw several either
military or Civilan F27's or Fokker 50's along with Phillipin Military Hueys. Took
off over Manila and the lush forests of the Northern Phillippines. Crew again
showed flight data ion tke off and landing. Nagoya has a small airport for a
major city and is shaerd with the Japanese self defens focres and sha a number of
c130 and what appered to be fighters of 1960's vintage. Pulled into gate 9
only other plne at the terminal was a JAL DC-10-40. As NW only has 2 flights
going through NGO JAL handedls the flight we were told to bring all our bags with
us as we got off the plane and given reboarding passes by the JAL ground
staff.
NGO-DTW NW72 747-451 N674US
Boarding began by rows at 12:40. Flight again was full. By the time of our
departure the termainl was busier. Saw an Asiana 767,Air China 737,JAL CRJ and
Air Nippon 737. The observation decdk at the airport was full after a short
taxi we were off  on the long 11.5 hour trip to DTW no posion reports were give
had to rely on looking out the window to figre abot where we were. Landed at
DTW on time and pulled into gate 40. Went through Immagration coolected our
bages went through customs and then to the recheck desk to check our bags where
they wer put through the xray  and bomb detection machines one of our bages was
opened and swabed by a TSA agent.Once again it was thriough security and my
lap top bag was swabbed as well.
and it was off to our last flight.
DTW-EWR NW664 757-251 N547US seats 16ab
Was out of Customs by 12:20pm and it was off to gate 12 for our flight home.
This time we ttok the people  mover to the gate it was fast and very similar
to the one at ATL arrived at the gate boarding began at 12:20 flight was pushed
on time. Tookm a long taxi to the runway past the old terminal complex,the NW
maitence base and the Spirit hanger. Took off and due to turbalnce at the
higher flight levels poceded to 25,000 feet. Flight was full with bev and pretzel
service. Made the approch over the Meadowlands noticed that NY skline does
not look the same after the  911 attack and colapse of the WTC tried to make out
Ground Zero. Landed on run ay 9-22 right had to wait for cleqarence to the
gate. Saw the last two NW 727-200's in NW sports charter service along with NW
DC10-30,AF A340 and Alitalia MD-11. Was first up the jetway at gate 41b and off
the the bag clim to meet my dad and to head for hme vai car on the NJTP.

Dan