Re: Northwest adding nonstop flights from Milwaukee to major cities

Milwaukee is an interesting conundrum.

As far as a transcon hub, it's geographically in the right place, much
like Detroit and Chicago and to a lesser degree Minneapolis. Though
most Mercator map projections may lead to folks thinking that St.
Louis, Kansas City or even Dallas are better 'half-way' points, this is
not the case.

Clearly, it's proximity to O'Hare is a problem for any airline trying
to compete with AA or UA. The additional O&D traffic in Chicago allows
frequent service to numerous destinations that Milwaukee can't support
even as a pure hub.

What I think Midwest has tried to do (in MKE at least), not so
successfully, is service the numerous smaller communities to the west
and north throughout Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa as an alternative to
O'Hare by connecting them to bigger cities in the east and mid-west.
Places like Green Bay, Appleton, OshKosh and Madison.

As an airport, it's quite nice. Bright, recently built, and functional.
A traveller can get in and out very rapidly. It's got a fantastic
second hand book store (of all things!) right across from a Burger King
where you can have a beer instead of a "King Size" pail of Coke.

Matthew