Re: Big planes vs. little ones

This is exactly the crux of the point I was trying to make. I can see
increasing wages with seniority, but that pilots' wages are a function of
seniority AND equipment type doesn't seem justified. Because something large
is going to have a senior person flying, the current formula ensures that
big planes have extremely expensive pilot labor costs to extent where much
of the economies of scale are neutralized. A pay scale based strictly upon
seniority makes more sense to me. Left seat, right seat--it wouldn't matter.
Type of equipment--that wouldn't matter, either. I would envision pilots
still bidding trips based upon seniority (with some sort of provisions to
avoid "training daisy chain" costs caused by type hopping as Bob Mann
mentioned).

I would think (due to what Mathew described as the "bigger = newer = cooler
= prime pickings" factor) that the senior people would opt for the
bigger/newer/cooler planes anyway and that would address the issue where the
bigger planes need more experienced crews since there is greater
responsibility. And if it didn't, the airlines could step in with a floor
that says you have to have a certain number of years' experience to fly the
larger types.

Of course with a system like that in place, given the history of airline
labor relations, what happens when all the pilots with enough seniority to
fly the larger planes inevitably try to game the system by bidding to fly
A319s or 737s? ;)

Regards,
Jon
--