Re: Big planes vs. little ones

In a message dated 5/8/2003 10:23:59 AM Central Standard Time,
jwright@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> A pay scale based strictly upon
> seniority makes more sense to me. Left seat, right seat--it wouldn't
> matter.

Here are a few of my thoughts.  If the situation above happened, you wouldn't
have anybody who wants to be captain.  Why take all the responsibility if you
aren't being paid more for it?  Also, some senior guys won't jump to another
airplane because they would rather have the bidding seniority on the smaller
equipment, or they don't want to go to school again.

If a larger airplane implies more responsibility, why do it if I am not going
to make more money for it.  More bodies times more distance times more
training equals more money if you want the senior guy to bite.  Otherwise,
you will have the newhires going to whatever is open, not the smaller
equipment and reserve to "learn the ropes" as the situation dictates.

I know that from an outsiders standpoint a one payscale rule looks great, but
nobody on a my seniority list would buy it, unless of course everyone is paid
at or above the top rate that we have now, which I think is not what you were
getting at.

Jim
Off to the box for the ride.

Jim Hann