Re: Big planes vs. little ones

Nick and Jon raise a good point; a slight oversight in my thoughts.

Much like any skill based occupation, the scarcity of a skill usually
commands a higher rate. I'm guessing here; there are a few more Cessna
182 pilots than 777 captains.

It is of course tempered by the fact that many airlines pay to train
their pilots to newer and or bigger planes.... further tempered by the
fact that those chosen for training are usually the 'senior of the
juniors.'

Of course, a pilots union, specifically it sounds like at Delta, saw an
opportunity to translate a skill into a higher rate. In the case of the
777 pilots and their union who wanted a higher rate, Delta was at their
mercy. Delta wouldn't (nor shouldn't) try to find pilots within their
ranks that would do the job without the extra pay, as that would
'upset' the union.  Even though Delta likely sponsored or out-n-out
paid for the training.

Continue to happens in the high-tech arena as well.

Recent years of course have brought about a glut of certain skills. I'm
sure there are a few L1011 and DC10 captains who are 'under-employed'
and can't command the high-rates...

And I completely agree with Jon, a pay-scale based strictly on
seniority is ridiculous. That's how certain 'aged' civil servants,
adding value at a secretarial and administrative level were being paid
$40CAD/hour in some parts of some governments.

Matthew