Re: Won't Get Fooled Again?

A wise friend of mine said "Never burn your bridges in aviation, your First
Officer from yesterday might be your Chief Pilot tomorrow."  You have
management, you have labor. Even Don Carty has said (I have to paraphrase):
"Management's greatest sin is to say it's all labor's fault."

What I see will happen is a turnover.  The "major" carriers will become like
PA and TW of yesteryear, long haul/Int'l; today's "jet regionals" will be the
domestics, running semi point to point ops with small hubs at certain
airports; the "non-jet regionals" will be feeding the old "jet regionals";
and a new group will pop up to fill in as the "non-jets" move into larger
equipment and markets.  In 20 years, we will do it again, as each company
becomes, in turn, too large and unwieldy to stay out of bankruptcy and stay
solvent.

What all this means to us (meaning labor) is that we will make gains until
the market or management cannot bear it, then things will cave in and a bunch
of us will get an express ride to the bottom of the aviation feeding chain to
start over again.

Jim Hann
Waterski J-41 Captain
Lambert-St. Louis Airport (STL/KSTL)