Re: Air Canada to Start Non-stop International Services from Montreal to Rome, Beirut and Munich; Redeploys North America Capacity to Align with International Market Opportunities

--=======B4E4991=======

For a considerable time after the start of  North Atlantic commercial
service at the end of WWII, Montreal was Canada's only entry point.
Lufthansa started service in 1956, I believe, with L-1049G Super
Constellations, en route to Chicago.
Someone else may know when they stopped serving Montreal, presumably in
favour of Toronto.

Robin

>  Montreal has a fairly large population from Lebanon, both Christian and
> Muslim.  Over 10,000 Lebanese arrived in Montreal in the 1990s alone, and
> among countries of birth for all immigrants in Montreal, Lebanon ranks
> 5th (Italy is #1).  The Beirut service has been rumoured for a while, and
> if any city can support it, it's Montreal.
>Does this also mark the first time that Lufti will have regular service to
>Montreal?
>
>Matthew :)

---