Re: Fliers' fear factor returns in 'a rotten time to travel'

Yea, I agree things are really smoother.  I'm back to the point I walk in
the front doors of the airport an hour or a little more before I'm to leave
and have had no problems, and that has been at IAD, DCA, PHL, MYR, MCO,
DAB, and SEA.  Not having the checks at the gates is great, its like it use
to be, just walk up and walk on. The electronic kiosks seem to work well
and everywhere I've been the staff has really been active in helping people
through (Again on a couple of different carriers, US, DL, and UA).

The biggest issue I have is semi personal. I have a lot of crap on me that
I have to take off (pager, phone, keys, rings, change, badge) and they
really don't have a place to do it.  I'd like a couple of tables just as
you enter the rope lines so I can get all of it out, I'll hold up the line
if I wait until I get to the checkpoint tables.  That and one of my belts
sets off the machine about 1/2 the time.  Like I said to the one TSA agent
when he asked me if I wanted to take my shoes off, if I go off, I go off,
wand me, there is only so much I'm going to take off on a maybe.  He just
laughed, and that trip through, I didn't go off.

Shawn

At 10:59 AM 2/20/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>David,
>I agree with you about the smoothness of travel these days.
>I took several international trips and 15-20 domestic round
>trip flights within US after Sept. 11
>
>My experience is , except the transitional periods (transition
>from priv. firms to TSA, from some bags checked to all bags
>checked, etc. ) the travel has gotten better. Noone is talking
>about the skies being less crowded. Thanks to that ATC delays
>are almost non existent anymore.
>
>TSA is doing a much better job compared to the private companies.
>
>I think most of the discomfort is created by the airlines. Who
>cannot forget the stupid USAirways rule changes of last year.
>
>I have a better solution for the people who are nervous about
>traveling, turn off CNN, turn on Travel Channel..
>
>BAHA ACUNER - CFI,CFII,MEI
>Soon to be travelling CFI.
>
>www.bahadiracuner.com
>www.acuwings.com