AIRLINE list moderation problems

Hi Airline subscribers,

Some of you already know me from the last time I got involved with this,
but, in short, I maintain the LISTSERV software for the City University
of New York.  I'm also a long time AIRLINE list subscriber, strictly in
"lurk" mode.

First off, as a stop-gap measure:

1) As of right now, ALL subscribers can post to the AIRLINE list.

    and

2) I've approved the few legitimate posts which were waiting for approval
that were still available -- posts which are not been approved in a week
disappear so anything posted more than a week ago which hasn't yet shown
up never will.  By the way, there were about 40 posts waiting for approval
and 35 or so of those were spam, so we definitely don't want to open up
posting for non-subscribers.

Now, for the long term:

Yes, I know about the difficulties you are having getting your posts
approved.  As is typical, the moderator of this list is overloaded.  This
is such an ongoing problem that I have essentially ZERO confidence things
will ever improve as long as Geert is the only moderator of the AIRLINE
list.  Geert is a great guy and I like him, but that doesn't change my
opinion about this situation: he just doesn't have any time even if he
refuses to acknowledge that fact.  His actions, or rather, his lack of
actions, tell the true story.

Seeing how Geert is no longer affiliated with this university, I have no
problem assisting someone to move the list elsewhere.  For example, by
letting the sucke.... ehh, the volunteer, FTP all the past archives to
a new server.  And/or I can set up an autoresonder so anyone who tries
to subscribe here can be redirected to the new site.

BUT, I would not like to just hand if off to the first person who opens
up a yahoo-group or something, so if you are willing to host it please
e-mail me and tell me why you should host it and where and if there are
some good responses we can take it from there.

Alternatively, if there happens to be someone affiliated with CUNY who
can share list or moderation duties, that's perfect.  I know a couple of
years ago I asked for volunteers and received some GREAT responses, but
management really would rather not continue to support a list where there
isn't at least SOME affiliation with CUNY.

Thanks, and sorry for all the problems.

Bill
City University of New York Computer Center
212-541-0988