Air marshals charge new policies could endanger passengers

Air marshals charge new policies could endanger passengers
By Blake Morrison, USA TODAY

McALLEN, Texas =97 When Jose Rodriguez joined the federal air marshal=
 program=20
in June, he planned to stay at least two years. He quit after five months.=
=20
An exit interview form filled out by his supervisor and obtained by USA=20
TODAY described Rodriguez as "an asset to the program." But like scores of=
=20
other marshals hired after the Sept. 11 attacks, Rodriguez, 33, says he was=
=20
driven off by managers who "lied to and betrayed" him and others. The=20
program that government officials consider the key to thwarting hijackings=
=20
isn't what it claims to be, he says, and he worries that its failings could=
=20
endanger public safety. "Too many people are quitting =97 good people, the=
=20
best," says Rodriguez, the first former air marshal hired after the attacks=
=20
to speak publicly about the top-secret program. "The public needs to know=20
how we're being treated and why we're leaving." Confidential documents=20
obtained by the newspaper and interviews with Rodriguez and nearly three=20
dozen current and former air marshals from 11 regional offices also raise=20
questions about whether program officials may be compromising security as=20
they try to put marshals aboard as many flights as possible: Despite=20
policies that require at least two marshals on each assigned flight,=20
marshals in the New York field office were told they would have to fly=20
alone if their partners call in sick, documents show. Marshals who=20
completed a recent training regimen in Atlantic City say they also were=20
warned they could fly solo.

Aviation security analysts contend putting lone marshals on flights might=20
enable a group of unarmed hijackers to take a gun from a marshal, a=20
possibility that would leave passengers more vulnerable than if no marshal=
=20
were aboard. Marshals must accept any seat an airline offers, "even if your=
=20
assigned seat is not 'tactically' sound," a memo sent Nov. 22 by managers=20
to marshals in New York says. Marshals who recently completed training also=
=20
say they were told of the new policy. "My God, that's crazy. It's idiocy,"=
=20
says Billie Vincent, the former director of security for the Federal=20
Aviation Administration who helped resurrect the air marshal program in the=
=20
1980s. Such a policy contradicts the program's standard operating=20
procedures. Those rules call for marshals to have unobstructed access to=20
the jet's aisle and, preferably, to sit near the cockpit to protect it from=
=20
hijackers. Even if they believe their cover has been blown before a flight,=
=20
marshals in the Atlanta field office have been told they must continue with=
=20
their missions, documents show. "The actual or perceived compromise of your=
=20
identity is never a sufficient reason to abort your assigned flight," a=20
memo sent Dec. 10 by the acting head of the Atlanta office reads. Marshals=
=20
say that could leave them =97 and passengers =97 vulnerable to attack=
 because=20
an unarmed terrorist might then be able to gain access to a weapon. "If=20
somebody knows who I am, anyone can come up and slit my throat. And then he=
=20
has a gun," says one marshal who joined the program early this year.

Some marshals say they use over-the-counter stimulants such as No-Doz to=20
stay awake during flights. Others take what they call "power naps" just=20
after takeoff and battle vertigo. When marshals were hired earlier this=20
year, they were promised four-day workweeks to compensate for the rigors of=
=20
constant travel. Marshals say flying five days a week, sometimes 10 hours a=
=20
day, leaves them so exhausted that staying alert becomes difficult. "On=20
your fourth or fifth day, you start feeling nauseous," says Rodriguez, who=
=20
resigned Nov. 22. "Sometimes, I had to go to the restroom just to splash=20
water on my face and calm myself down." Two government watchdog groups are=
=20
looking into problems in the program. And one marshal faces disciplinary=20
action after he left his gun aboard a Nov. 13 flight from Detroit to=20
Indianapolis. A spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration,=20
which oversees the program, confirms that the gun apparently fell between=20
seats on the Northwest Airlines flight. A cleaning crew found it.

The agency responds
Despite such incidents, TSA spokesman Robert Johnson says the program is=20
"going well." He says a memo sent to marshals telling them they "shall=20
continue on with the mission" if their partners call in sick was "not an=20
approved and final directive. ... Air marshals do not fly solo," he says.=20
Johnson also says marshals who say they were told of policy changes during=
=20
training in late November are simply mistaken. But another memo, dated Dec.=
=20
8 and sent to marshals in New York, reiterates the policy on flying alone.=
=20
"... Only (Mission Operations Center) will decide whether you will be=20
scheduled to fly a solo mission," the memo sent from a team leader reads.=20
"If they do, this will be on a low profile flight that only has a small=20
number of passengers." The four flights hijacked Sept. 11 each had fewer=20
than 100 passengers. "There was no misunderstanding," insists one marshal,=
=20
who says mission operations officials told marshals of the changes during=20
classes just before Thanksgiving. "They said, 'Don't be surprised if you=20
might fly solo.' Everyone was just stunned."

Too conspicuous
Rodriguez's account of his short tenure in the Las Vegas field office=20
suggests little has changed since August, when USA TODAY first documented=20
problems in the burgeoning program that places armed, undercover officers=20
aboard commercial flights. Before Sept. 11, 2001, fewer than 50 air=20
marshals flew, primarily on international flights. But after the attacks,=20
officials expanded the program, lowering marksmanship standards and cutting=
=20
training to put marshals on flights quickly. Although the precise number of=
=20
marshals flying today is classified, sources within the program now say=20
officials were not able to hire the 6,000 marshals they had hoped to=20
deploy. At its peak last summer, the program had grown to slightly more=20
than 4,000 marshals, the sources say. Since then, sources within the=20
program say hundreds of marshals have quit, been fired or transferred to=20
other federal agencies. The TSA disputes those numbers and says the=20
attrition rate is less than expected.
To keep marshals flying, officials tightened sick-leave policies this fall=
=20
after USA TODAY reported that 1,250 marshals called in sick during an=20
18-day period. A TSA spokesman insisted that "no such thing has ever=20
occurred." But a confidential memo from Robert Byers, the program's=20
assistant director, dated Oct. 28 =97 four days after the story =97 says=
 "sick=20
leave requests are running at what appears to be extraordinary levels."=20
Marshals say calling in sick is the only way to get a day off without=20
asking two months in advance. The agency also has yet to address marshals'=
=20
concerns that a dress code requiring "business attire" easily identifies=20
them. Rodriguez says passengers often spotted him and his partner in=20
airports and flashed them a thumbs-up  as they passed. Such episodes=20
reinforced his fear: Wearing business clothes makes marshals too=20
conspicuous. "The TSA and the government have deliberately created a=20
perception in the public's mind that we've got the cavalry here," Vincent=20
says of the air marshal program. "But the more I hear, the less comfortable=
=20
I get. The government is misleading the American public."

Manager called them 'amateurs'
Rodriguez shares the concern. After a USA TODAY story in August documented=
=20
morale problems and concerns about the dress code, TSA head James Loy=20
dismissed the report. In a letter to the editor published weeks later, he=20
called the story  "irresponsible and misleading ... based of course on=20
'anonymous sources.' " That's one reason Rodriguez came forward, he says.=20
He says he and other marshals were appalled by Loy's letter and by comments=
=20
from air marshal director Tom Quinn that marshals who complained were=20
"amateurs." A TSA spokesman says neither Quinn nor Loy was available for=20
comment. "When somebody is risking their lives for this nation and we're=20
being called amateurs because we made comments about being sick or we fear=
=20
that we're going to be picked out for what we wear, it's not right,"=20
Rodriguez says. "When they come out and lie =97 flat out lie =97 and say=
 it's=20
all untrue and everything's fine, what needs to be done to help the public=
=20
understand? "I know I'm going to open up a Pandora's box here. But do they=
=20
not know?" he says of TSA leaders. "I hope they open their eyes." For=20
Rodriguez, who had been working as an investigator at the Hidalgo County=20
(Texas) Sheriff's Department, the appeal of becoming a marshal =97 of=
 serving=20
his country and going into federal law enforcement =97 was impossible to=20
resist. Just before he applied to the marshal program last summer, he had=20
been assigned to an undercover drug task force. But the air marshal job=20
paid $52,000 a year =97 about $12,000 more than his job at the sheriff's=20
department. Moreover, officials doing the hiring promised chances to ascend=
=20
quickly within the marshal program. "It was just bait," Rodriguez says now.

Promised a transfer, then refused
When he accepted the job, Rodriguez knew he'd be stationed in Las Vegas =97=
=20
more than a thousand miles from his wife and children in Texas. But like=20
other marshals, he says he was told during training that he could transfer=
=20
to an office closer to home after three months on the job. Instead, he=20
says, his transfer requests were rejected with form letters, even after he=
=20
arranged to swap assignments with a marshal in the Dallas field office. He=
=20
says managers allowed the Dallas marshal to come to Las Vegas. But he=20
wasn't allowed to go to the Dallas or Houston offices, both closer to his=20
home near McAllen. In Rodriguez's Nov. 21 exit interview, a supervisor=20
acknowledged that Rodriguez "was advised that he would be able to transfer=
=20
to the station of his choice within three months ... This agreement has not=
=20
been honored." After his second transfer request was denied, Rodriguez says=
=20
his decision to leave became an easy one. "I'll deal with the dress code.=20
I'll deal with working five days a week. I'll deal with being nauseous," he=
=20
says. "But I need to be close to my family." Rodriguez says he was rehired=
=20
last week by the sheriff's department, but he lost his seniority. Now,=20
he'll be a patrolman and make $27,000 a year =97 a $13,000 pay cut from his=
=20
old job working narcotics.

Fear of retaliation
After USA TODAY stories earlier this year, Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore.,=20
asked government investigators to determine whether the marshal program was=
=20
being "effectively run." The General Accounting Office and the=20
Transportation Department's inspector  general subsequently launched an=20
investigation and audit, respectively. But Rodriguez holds out little hope=
=20
that either agency will be able to delve deeply. He says marshals are=20
constantly reminded that they will be fired or prosecuted for talking about=
=20
the program. As a result, he says, marshals are wary of anyone in the=20
federal government. During his months in the program, Rodriguez says he=20
never talked to the media. When he left, he signed a confidentiality=20
agreement that prohibits him from discussing matters of "national=20
security." He says he may be putting his law enforcement career in jeopardy=
=20
by going public now. What he saw before he resigned late last month =97 and=
=20
what he fears will happen in the months ahead =97 left him with little=20
choice, he says. "I'm concerned for the safety of the air marshals getting=
=20
picked out =97 for the safety of the public," he says. "We're tired of=20
hearing that it's growing pains."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt