Re: A Safer Way To Crash An Airplane?

This sounds like a Cirrus SR20 or SR22, which, afaik, are all equipped with
the Ballistic Recovery System (BRS) parachute system.  I know this was
recently approved for the Cessna 172, but it's unlikely it was a 172 because
of the very recent approval.  They also have systems for the 150/152 but you
said it was a 4-place aircraft involved yesterday.  Take a look at
http://www.airplaneparachutes.com for more info.  The site claims
approximately 130+ lives saved to date with their systems, installed primarily
on ultralights.

~Greg