A Safer Way To Crash An Airplane?

This afternoon (10/03/02), near the Josey Ln/Old Denton Rd intersection
in North Dallas, a private pilot crashed his aircraft in a wooded area
near the intersection.  The crash itself temporarily closed down the
intersection, but what made this crash so unusual was an innovation used
by the pilot to reduce the danger of him being killed or severely injured
during the crash.  The aircraft was a single engine, four seat aircraft,
equipped with a parachute attached to the tail of the aircraft.  The
pilot, when he realized he was going to crash, deployed the chute, and
basically floated down to the ground at a survivable speed, instead of
crashing nose first at a high rate of speed, or landing the aircraft in
the wooded area, with or without landing gear.  I've heard of this
installed on aircraft before, but this is the first time I've heard of it
successfully used to save the lives of any passenger on a light plane.  I
suspect it wouldn't work on larger commercial aircraft that easily due to
the shear weight of the aircraft.

Regards,
Richard Whitenight
Arlington, Texas