Re: Airline Travel Agent Commissions

Travel Agents do far more than simply 'issue tickets', well at least the
good ones do.

Things have been greatly simplified recently, but travel agents capture
a lot of information and feed it into reservation systems. In 2002,
there are still many things that a web-based order entry system can't
do. To prove it, try booking an infant-in-arms passage on Air Canada
through their web-site. Or arrange for your Australian tourist visa, as
a Canadian citizen through The Trip.Com. (Try going BACK to a
reservation made on united.com a day later and changing your meal
selection... I don't think it can be done... But a travel agent can fix
that in seconds.)

Hell, most airline web sites can't even get online seat selection
working correctly.

What's gotten me extremely curious is not that airlines have cut
commissions (seems logical from a financial perspective), but that they
know exactly what there result is going to be.

Airlines lower fares to attract buyers. The whole concept of
load-management is price driven. Then they know (by the fact that 75% of
their tickets are sold through agents) that agents are going to find
their operating expenses elsewhere. In a perverse manner they increased
the price of their product (likely to show a similar decline in sales)
without putting the increased revenue in their own pockets!

And even more weird, is that at a time when airlines need all the
friends they can get they decided to collectively piss of their best
friends. (Maybe only remaining friends is a better term.)  As Nick duly
noted, SouthWest/WestJet/JetBlue will continue to pay commissions;
AirCanada's press release came with a little footnote; that their
commission structure for Tango is not affected.

Now a Travel Agent makes more money taking a customer and putting them
on Tango for $700 than selling them a full-fare $3300 YVR-YYZ round-trip
on the mainline AC flight

Weird.

Matthew