Swiss selects American as partner, eyes Oneworld

"Swiss" selects American as partner, eyes Oneworld

ZURICH, March 26 (Reuters) - The new ``Swiss'' airline, replacing failed
Swissair as flag carrier from March 31, said on Tuesday it had selected
American Airlines (NYSE:AMR - news) as its transatlantic partner and
wanted to join Oneworld.

``We will be working very closely with American. American Airlines is
going to be our transatlantic partner and we are aiming for a Oneworld
full membership in this coming year,'' Chief Executive Andre Dose told
Cable News Network television, ahead of a news conference in Zurich.
Oneworld is an alliance lead by American and British Airways Plc (quote
from Yahoo! UK & Ireland: BAY.L). Swiss, being built out of former
regional carrier Crossair , was widely expected to team up with
American -- a former Swissair ally -- and wanting to join Oneworld but
industry sources said there were a number of regulatory obstacles to
full Oneworld membership.

BA and Swiss would dominate the routes between Britain and Switzerland
and some rivals, such as EasyJet, have already indicated they would
demand the European Commission to force BA and Swiss to surrender
landing slots on Heathrow airport if Swiss became a Oneworld member.

Swiss had also been talking with the SkyTeam alliance of Air France and
Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE:DAL - news) and the Star Alliance of Lufthansa
(quote from Yahoo! UK & Ireland: LHAG.F) and UAL Corp's (NYSE:UAL -
news) United Airlines.

--
David Mueller / SAN
kawika42@mac.com