Re: Airline Travel Agent Commissions

At 06:41 PM 3/25/2002 -0800, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>And why Nick, do you feel that the airlines should have a free
>distribution network?
>
>Mark

What makes you think I think they should have a free distribution network???

I call (800) 241-6522. Maybe I call another 800 number or visit a couple of
web sites from competing airlines to compare fares and schedules. I talk to
someone an airline pays. They pay the cost of the incoming phone call. They
mail me a receipt at their cost.

Sounds to me like they're paying for the distribution network.

Do you get more business in non-airline revenue because you can also sell
airline tickets along with the hotel rooms or resort bookings that you
make? Would your business be less if you had to tell your clients, "Just
call the airline and book these tickets yourself"? If so, you should be
thankful you can deal with the airlines on your clients' behalf. That they
used to pay you for each ticket you had a hand in was nice, but I suspect
you get as much from your access to them as they get from you.

Nick