Re: Aerovias Q/Q Airways

Hi Alexandre and all

----- Original Message -----
From: Alexandre

>>Routes were Havana to Varadero (9/46), Nueva Gerona (late 1946), Key
>>West (2/47), Camaguey/Holguin/Port-au-Prince (1947), Merida/Veracruz
>>(1949). Ops to Key West, Miami, West Palm Beach and Nassau were
>>contracted (unclear to whom).

I think that the contract flights were carried out for Pan Am. I understand
that "Q" took over Pan Am's Cuban routes.

>>I am not quite sure of any direct link with Batista, although the fact
>>they operated from the military side at Havana would suggest such a
>>connection - despite what says this Cuban site:

In that era, Batista owned a share (either full or part) in most large
enterprises based in Cuba, and "Q" was definitely one of those. Mainly done
to appease him somewhat. Without getting into politics and such, Batista was
a right wing politician but in the same breath he was "in bed" with the
social elite in Havana. Two different faces.

Anyway, I was wondering why the airline was called "Q"? What does it
represent? There has to be a story behind it.

Also, does anyone know how long "Q" operated the Cuban flights for Pan Am?

Maybe one of the Miami/Florida boyz can fill us in?

Cheers

Scotty