Re: INSTALL nits

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023, at 9:13 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023, Gavin Smith wrote:
>>
>> Is there any consistency in naming across different packages, i.e.
>> is "bootstrap" the most widely used name?
>
> No, there is no consistency across different packages.  If this was
> part of the GNU coding standards then perhaps actual GNU projects
> might be convinced to use a standard name.  But most consumers of
> Autoconf are not GNU projects.

On a related note, I had thought the very long term plan was to make
it so most projects only needed to run `autoreconf -i` before `configure`
when building from a VCS checkout.  That "most" can't ever be "all",
because there will always be weird special cases -- look at Autoconf
and Automake themselves -- but I can at least *imagine* a world in
which *only* Autoconf and Automake themselves are weird special cases.
What are the most common things people need to do in a "bootstrap"
script that *aren't* covered by `autoreconf -i`?

zw