Re: INSTALL nits

Hi Zack,

On 17/8/23 23:41, Zack Weinberg wrote:
On Thu, Aug 17, 2023, at 9:13 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2023, Gavin Smith wrote:
Is there any consistency in naming across different packages, i.e.
is "bootstrap" the most widely used name?
No, there is no consistency across different packages.  If this was
part of the GNU coding standards then perhaps actual GNU projects
might be convinced to use a standard name.  But most consumers of
Autoconf are not GNU projects.
On a related note, I had thought the very long term plan was to make
it so most projects only needed to run `autoreconf -i` before `configure`
when building from a VCS checkout.  That "most" can't ever be "all",
because there will always be weird special cases -- look at Autoconf
and Automake themselves -- but I can at least *imagine* a world in
which *only* Autoconf and Automake themselves are weird special cases.
What are the most common things people need to do in a "bootstrap"
script that *aren't* covered by `autoreconf -i`?

I have a couple of bootstrap scripts that generate automake snippets that are included into Makefile.am. If autoreconf is guaranteed to run autoconf before automake, I suppose those snippets could be generated within autoconf via m4_syscom or similar.

Cheers,

Peter