Re: INSTALL nits

On 8/17/23 09:41, Zack Weinberg wrote:

What are the most common things people need to do in a "bootstrap"
script that *aren't* covered by `autoreconf -i`?

Some need to call autoreconf -i with other arguments, or run it multiple times. For example, Emacs runs 'autoreconf -fi -I m4' at the top level and 'autoreconf -fi' in a subdirectory.

For packages using Gnulib, one of the things is to fetch Gnulib sources (e.g., from Savannah) and then populate them into the appropriate places usihg gnulib-tool.

Some packages also configure the VCS. For example, Emacs autogen.sh invokes 'git config transfer.fsckObjects true' (always a good idea for GNU projects, if you ask me) and populates .git/hooks with scripts suitable for Emacs developers.

Although some of this could perhaps be migrated into Autoconf, much of it is VCS- or project-specific.