Re: Showing rpm messages before rpm completes

Eric Shubert <ejs@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Let me try to explain a little better what's going on. For example, my
> clamav package runs "freshclam" during the %post section, in order to
> update virus definitions. The freshclam program outputs a progress
> bar, so you can see how the download is going as it progresses. This
> works fine when using the rpm command.

 This is broken, it's an error for rpm packages to output anything in
%post/%postun ... and you'll see that "yum history" will flag any
transaction without output as problematic.

> When the package is installed with yum though, yum shows no progess
> bar during the download. The %post section appears to run silently
> until the very end, at which time it duly spits out all of the output
> created by the %post script(s). My objective here is to have yum show
> these messages as they happen, same as what occurs when running rpm.

 Even if we wanted to change this behaviour the API interface between
rpm and yum doesn't make this easy.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx