Re: Questions about releasever change

Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 10:09:11 -0600,
>   Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Commit a52edb8c83e0006a6c0d3cc6071fb3f539e53d00 changed the returned
>> value for version for provides. Previously the version was the part
>> before the dash so that provide strings were treated like
>> version-release. This has broken things that use $releasever.
>>
>>I am curious about why this change was made?

 I'm not entirely sure, even now, why the old way wasn't good enough
but RHEL-7 rel-eng wanted the ability to have "normal" version strings
in their rhel-release packages (think 6.99 for "pre. 7.0" etc.). Which
meant that we needed some other way to get the releasever than just
taking the version of the package.

> It looks like the rational is in bug 1002977 which is private.
>
> I also note the main commit is really
> d0272d66ad1c36e85facc7deed2408409cfec83a which suggests the behavior
> is intentional. And it looks like the correct thing to do is not
> include a version on the provides and one will get pulled from the
> package.

 For the future it's probably better to do what rhel-release is doing,
so we test the same code paths. Just MHO though, removing the versions
should revert to the old behaviour.

> It also looks like calls to yum.config._getsysver should provide a
> list of strings as the second argument instead of a string. (This is
> what is likely breaking livecd-creator.)

 Yeh, we changed this as it's a private function (note that
yb.conf.distroverpkg also changed from a string to a list of
strings). We could fix this to look at the type and thus. work with a
single string, if you want.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx