Re: Showing rpm messages before rpm completes

On 12/26/2013 08:40 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:35:34 -0700
Eric Shubert <ejs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/24/2013 11:46 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:13:58 -0700
Eric Shubert <ejs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does anyone know how to get yum to show this output as it
happens?

Thanks.
Have you truied
-v, --verbose         verbose operation ?

No, but that's not what I want. I don't want more information.

I simply want to see the output from the rpm command as it happens
(in real time), rather than all at once at the end of running it.
yum appears to be buffering that output, and I'd like to turn off
the buffering.

Maybe: --rpmverbosity=[debug level name]
                         debugging output level for rpm ?

Now that looks like a handy option. The "info" level (default) is fine for my needs though.

Let me try to explain a little better what's going on. For example, my clamav package runs "freshclam" during the %post section, in order to update virus definitions. The freshclam program outputs a progress bar, so you can see how the download is going as it progresses. This works fine when using the rpm command.

When the package is installed with yum though, yum shows no progess bar during the download. The %post section appears to run silently until the very end, at which time it duly spits out all of the output created by the %post script(s). My objective here is to have yum show these messages as they happen, same as what occurs when running rpm.

Thanks for your suggestions. Perhaps I should ask on the development list. My hunch is that this is probably something related to how the perl code is executing the rpm command.

--
-Eric 'shubes'