Re: preupgrade stuck

David Timms wrote:
Gerry Reno wrote:
dependencies. So what good is '--skip-broken' if it isn't going to skip anything?
I imagine that each noted 'broken' package also depended on other packages being upgradable, which eventually leads to marking all packages as broken, and hence nothing to do.
It didn't say "Nothing to do." It just quit and gave back the prompt.

Differing from F9-10 for example, F11 is fully rebuilt with a new gcc, and sporting an i586 binary type. This might require the upgrade to be an all or nothing situation.
The gcc and maybe glibc might be an issue because I saw screen after screen of references to glibc versions.

I didn't notice if you have tried doing eg yum update rpm yum first, in case that helps.
Yep, did it.

Also the noting which packages yum is having trouble with might lead you to a method to upgrade manually.
It's having trouble with a lot of packages.

package-cleanup --orphans
might tell you installed packages that might be needing updates, but that are not part of your transaction set/upgrade.
Good idea. I'll look at that.

If you don't want to uninstall orphans, I think you could rpm -e --justdb (from memory), so that they stay installed during the upgrade, but then rpm reinstall --justdb afterwards.
I was just considering 'rpm -e --justdb --nodeps PKGS' if I can figure out the list of packages.

Never heard of rpm reinstall.

DaveT.

Regards,
Gerry