Re: preupgrade stuck

Seth Vidal wrote:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:

I ran preupgrade on a box with some raid arrays and volume groups. Everything was working fine through the preupgrade portion but after I rebooted anaconda cannot find the root of the existing installation and the whole preupgrade is stalled (I opened a bug on this). I can however boot into rescue mode and see the system and all the preupgrade packages are there. How can I manually finish this preupgrade with just 'yum' from the rescue mode?

you cannot. The point of preupgrade is that you're getting the pkgs you need for anaconda to perform the actual upgrade.

The advantage anaconda has vs yum for doing an upgrade is that anaconda is not having to do the upgrade on a running system.

-sv
Yes, anaconda puts the system into about the same as "rescue mode" and then performs the operations there. But that is why I thought that the upgrade could be completed from rescue mode because it is very similar if not exactly similar to how anaconda handles the upgrade.

Regards,
Gerry