[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored - needs working dns

Michael Stenner wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:33:42PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
>> OK, the machine tries to directly dns lookup the address of the AAAA
>> record of fedora.redhat.com, then A of the same. Within our network,
>> only the proxy machine is allowed to do this, so yum never gets dns answers.
>
> Are you doing ftp or http?
it's using default fedora-updates.repo etc.
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/downlo ....etc
proxy=http://192.168.2.2:80/

I think there is a mix of ftp and http inside that mirrorlist.

> In grepping through urllib2.py, I see
> where the ftp code does a lookup, but I don't see where one happens
> for http.
Maybe it's in the code to get the mirrorlist ?

> Now, many proxies don't handle http byteranges well (a
> feature yum uses and a reason we generally recommend ftp behind a
> proxy) so you may be SOL.  If it's a dns problem that's getting you,
> can you plug in the IP address directly?
for both tests in fedora-updates.repo: changed mirrorlist=
fedora.redhat.com to ip from dig: 209.132.177.50
note: the baseurl is commented out (default)!

-test 1:(disable dns for certain, but use proxies)
#mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolve.disabled
#yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core   [1/3]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
{these responses are lightening fast-no resolv.conf causes instant no
dns responses I guess}

-test 2: (make dns work, but with proxy/mirrorlist as ip)
#mv /etc/resolv.disabled /etc/resolv.conf
#yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core   [1/3]
extras [2/3]
updates[3/3]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates

-test 3: (make dns work, but with mirrorlist as name, and proxy setting
as local ip as above)
identical result to test 2.

-test 4: (dns works, original .repo, #proxy commented)
gets to next step:
updates[3/3]
Resolving dependencies etc.
works.

On fedora forum I found a post where someone was messing with there
environment variables (and then needing to do that in the root
environment) to get proxy stuff to work. This may have been telling the
machine it had to use a proxy no matter what!. I would have assumed the
only thing needed was the proxy value in the .repo file ?

DaveT.