[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored - needs working dns - possible solution

I have had very similar problems, which I have now solved.

However I am running FC4.

Yum stopped working after Mar 28, when the major thing downloaded was all the bits and pieces referring to glibc.

glibc.i686                               2.3.6-3                updates-released
glibc-common.i386                        2.3.6-3                updates-released
glibc-devel.i386                         2.3.6-3                updates-released
glibc-headers.i386                       2.3.6-3                updates-released
glibc-profile.i386                       2.3.6-3                updates-released
glibc-utils.i386                         2.3.6-3                updates-released

Yum was reporting the error
"Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: blah blah blah"

However I could get to the URL in mozilla no problem.

I then tried wget at the command line and it was telling me that it couldnt resolve the host name!

My entries for DNS were correct! and nslookup was returning the right info for any of the sites that yum and wget were having problems.

I then tried, and you should check this,

wget --inet4-only baseURL_that_yum_complained_about

wget --inet6-only baseURL_that_yum_complained_about

I found that wget --inet4-only worked but not --inet6-only.  Lots of documentation mentions some configuration within glibc.
Rolling back to previous version cleared up the problem.

Maybe somebody else can explain in more detail where the problem with glibc lies.

Cheers
Aengus

Aengus Stewart
Group Leader
Bioinformatics and BioStatistics               Tel: +44 (0)20 7269 3679
Cancer Research UK, Lincoln's Inn Fields, Holborn, London, WC2A 3PX, UK

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged and
confidential.  The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named above. Be aware that any third party
disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication, without
prior permission, is strictly prohibited.